IEDC Standard Data Set
BroadbandOnondaga County's broadband demands are driven by the breadth and depth of its public and private organizations. The county is the core of Central New York, with a total population over 450,000. Syracuse University, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, LeMoyne College and Onondaga Community College are all located here. Other major county employers include SUNY Health Science Center, Lockheed Martin, SRC Tech, Welch Allyn and National Grid.
Onondaga County has the greatest density of telecommunication services in the region supporting a 5 county area. The region depends on telecommunications centers maintained by major carriers in Syracuse for services and support. The County also hosts three private networks, NYSERNET, Metro Net and the educationally based BOCES network, which also serve the region.
Onondaga County is served by an extensive network of fiber optic transmission and distribution routes throughout the county. Major routes travel along the NYS Thruway, the Route 81/481 corridor, Route 80, Route 175, Route 5 and Route 31. There are 9 major fiber carriers, served by a centrally located ‘carrier hotel' in downtown Syracuse, an extensive network (23) of central offices and over 125 cell tower locations. SONET technology is widely deployed in Onondaga County by multiple service providers, making system redundancy and diversity available.
Twelve prime development sites, each in close proximity to a major fiber optic resource, are served by a comprehensive array of modern telecommunications services including gigabit ethernet and competitive exchange providers. Those sites are:
- Clay Industrial Park - NY I-481/Route 31
- Radisson Corporate Park - NY Route 31
- Collamer Business Park - NY Route 298
- Woodbine Business Park - NY Route 298
- Electronics Business Park - I-90/Electronics Parkway
- Hancock Airpark - Taft Road/ Northern Boulevard
- Syracuse Research Park - Colvin Street/Skytop Road
- Syracuse China Site - NYS I-90/NYS Route 298
- Destiny Area Site - I-81/Hiawatha Boulevard
- Sibley Building - 400 South Salina Street
- Excellus Headquarters Building - 344 South Warren Street
- New York Telephone Building - State/Washington Street